Events and fundraising
The events listed below are a brief outline of planned activities to raise funds for church maintenance and the updating of the electrical system which is in urgent need of replacement. More details will follow on each event as the date draws near but please contact us if you need more information before then.
15th July - Bridge Service and BBQ
5th August - Herefordshire Country Fair
8th November - Annual Friends' Dinner
17th December - Carol Service
Other village events can be found at the bottom of this page or visit the village hall website www.sellackvillagehall.co.uk
Why do we need to Raise Funds?
St. Tysilio’s Church is a Grade 1 Listed Building and is one of the most beautiful and interesting churches in Herefordshire. However, as with all ancient buildings, maintenance is an on-going project requiring approximately £10,000 a year to deal with the many problems of aging, such as erosion of the stonework, insect infestation, wood rot, leaks, etc.
Overwhelming support over the past few years have enabled us to raise the magnificent sum of £140,000 to complete the restoration of the spire. Having achieved that our attention turned over the last year or two to making the church more usable in the 21st century. Thanks again to the generous support of our friends and the local community, plus donations from grant giving bodies (particularly the Herefordshire Historic Churches Trust), we have recently installed a toilet and kitchen facilities in the church as well as improved disabled access. This is a great achievement which is proving a real boon in the use of the church.
The next push – and we hope the last major effort for a few years – is to replace the electrical system which is unsafe and urgently needs updating. Our coffers are currently somewhat depleted with all the recent work and so again we are afraid that we need your help. Donations large or small are always very welcome.
St. Tysilio’s has a Fundraising Committee which also in 2011, raised £5,000 allowing us to deal with some weather erosion of the stonework as well as damage caused by masonry bees, plus repairs to a section of the wall around the graveyard and to undertake maintenance work on the north window. In addition, repairs were carried out on the organ.
How can you help?
- Become a friend of St. Tysilio’s Church - to find more information about becoming a friend telephone one of our church wardens or email email@example.com
- You might like to support our fundraising events, whilst having fun at the same time
- You might like to make a monthly contribution
- You might like to make a one-off donation
- You might like to consider a legacy
- Tell others about our church
- Our Treasurer Carol Bourne on 01989 730932 will be delighted to hear from you
Sellack Parish Council is in the process of producing a website and would welcome any news and information you may have for their site.
The Parish Council have vacancy for clerk. Max 5 hours per week. Work from home. Contact Mark Whittal for further details. Tel 07967 226360
Sellack Village Hall News and Events:
- 50 plus Keep Fit every Monday 11am–12noon, £5 each followed by friendly cuppa and chat.
- Mat Pilates with John Appleby - every Monday 6.30pm - 7.30pm, £5. Come along and join this friendly group and give it a try with no obligation.
For more information visit the Village Hall Website - www.sellackvillagehall.co.uk